Saturday, August 6, 2011

#15 A Formal Affair

I love getting dressed up for formal galas and gatherings, though I rarely have the opportunity to do so. I always really look forward to putting on fancy dresses and gowns and the educator's gala I went to on Thursday evening was no exception. I love the vintage feel of my dress and was really trying to evoke Christina Hendricks in Mad Men. Did I succeed? :)








DRESS Green Ava Dress, Pin Up Girl Clothing | SHOES Black Patent Peep-Toe Pumps, Nine West | NECKLACE Garnet Heart & Gold, Vintage Jewelry | PURSE Studded Metallic Clutch, Marc Jacobs (not pictured)

I'm a bit frustrated that I forgot my Nikon D40, which takes much better quality photos than my regular point and shoot. The only problem is, a huge Nikon does not fit in a cute Marc Jacobs clutch. I'm not a huge fan of name brands or designers, although thanks to fashion blogs and to Gilt, I'm getting more and more interested in designer clothing. This Marc Jacobs bag was a gift from my dad's girlfriend and it's absolutely perfect. I love the gold and silver metallic combination, which means you can wear it with any jewelry. The studs add a rocker/bad girl flair that resembles my personality and it's the perfect size, not too big or small. It's one of my favorite accessories and I use it all the time.

I must admit that after a long week of professional development, I was pretty pooped and wasn't interested in grooming myself for several hours. I got ready for this event in about 30 minutes. Side pony tail, a few bobby pins for my bangs, slip on the dress, some quick makeup, slide my shoes on, and I was ready to go. I wish I would have hit the dress with an iron for a little bit after it was in my suitcase, but I'm still pretty pleased with how it turned out. If you like the dress or vintage/vintage reproductions as much as I do, I highly recommend you check out Pin Up Girl Clothing, with sizes up to 3x. However, buyer beware: prices can be high and quality of their garments is inconsistent.

16 comments:

  1. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!

    xo, Jill
    http://jillybeanstalk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vert reminiscent of Hendricks in Mad Men, I swear that's the first thing I thought of when I saw your pictures. You look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoot girl! I love the green dress with your hair. My first thought was Mad Men as well. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your makeup looks beauuuuuuutiful! And this color is amazing on you.

    sydaaaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That color is AMAZING on you. If we were neighbors, I'd steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah Rose you look INCREDIBLE! Green is sooooooooooooooo your color! You are absolutely beautiful! Stop the madness!! You look so much better than Christina! ;-) You dad's girlfriend is a keeper! What a great MJ bag! Love him! Don't you love it when you can achieve a look that looks like it took hours in as little as 30 minutes! TOTALLY RAD! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress!!!! I've been eying it forever but it just isn't in my size. So jealous!!

    bisous,
    http://gartersandstockings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look beautiful! Love that dress and the color looks amazing on you!

    Myeshia

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so pretty, that green is amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone rock this shade of green quite as well as you do now. The wrap style of the dress and its cut are extremely flattering - I love it when people *know* what looks good and not just blindly follow trends/other bloggers. Do what works for you and you'll always look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you off Thrify Business blog :) SUCH a cute dress and shoes :)

    www.everyonescelebrity.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, you succeeded! With you hair and your coloring, that emerald green is to die for! I had a couple of posts about Mad Men fashion on my blog www.stylepluscurves.com and I totally should have included this dress! Anyway, you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you look beautiful in this dress the color looks so pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this color looks great on you! You look like a gawgus mermaid! lol reminds me of Ariel. . . so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely dress, like the color also. You can alsoBuy Designer Clothes Online to compliment the same at Luxebutik - a trusted Online FashionStore.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the dress & color on you! I've always been interested in the Ava but am unsure about the sizing. If it's not too rude to ask - could you tell me what size you're wearing? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete