Friday, July 15, 2011

#9 Brushstrokes

"The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity." -John F. Kennedy, Jr.


JFK was so eloquent. I love this quote because it puts such a positive spin on the negative-- very typical of JFK and one of the many reasons why so many people loved him-- and it has a little bit to do with my outfit today! I wore this dress covered in brushstrokes around Manhattan to study at the library, walk around Rockefeller Center, and eat some delicious Nonna Maria pizza at Bleeker Street Pizza! AMAZING!









DRESS Brushstroke Blouson Dress, ECI via Nordstroms | WEDGES Red Gladiator Platform Wedges, H&M | GLASSES Green Prescription Glasses, Vintage | BAG Zebra Print Hobo Bag, H&M

I absolutely LOVE this dress. If you like it too, they have some left in a size 12 and it's a bit large, especially in the bust, so it might fit a 14-16 (I'm wearing a 16). I salivated over it for weeks, but sadly, it was $150. Thanks to Nordstrom's amazing end of season sale, I picked it up eventually for only $88! I was so excited! I love the silk, the stretchy waist, the convenient but subtle front pockets, and the gorgeous colors. It looks great in the photo, but even better in person. I got a lot of approving nods and looks from some of NYC's stylish hipsters on the streets.

These are also my favorite wedges because they are so unique and bright. The red suede and the front zipper puts an awesome spin on the bandaged/gladiator wedge style. I picked them up at H&M last year and I seriously regret not getting them in black as well, as they are insanely comfortable and light. I walked around them all day, even carrying my heavy H&M zebra bag (pictured sitting on the bench) full of books, a laptop, and a large Nikon camera.

Praise the fashion gods for wedges, am I right!? They are so fashionable, yet comfortable. They give you the height to elongate your legs and sexify your outfit without the pain of stilettos or pumps. I love high-heeled shoes but I HATE to wear them. I can never walk in them and they make me feel uncomfortable, and being uncomfortable just sucks the confidence right out me. How about you? Are you able to walk in heels comfortably? And if so, will you teach me how!? :)

16 comments:

  1. I loooove this dress! so gorgeous and unique...will be looking up this label now lol

    A Girl's Next Best Friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this dress is super gorgeous! It’s the perfect complement to your fab red hair and green glasses….and let’s not forget those fierce red shoes….You look fabulous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress and shoes are to die for. I love this ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress is amazing!!! And I love your wedges!!

    Prissy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is a fantastic dress. Honestly if I could find it I'd buy it for myself. The red gladiators are HOT! I love what you did here!

    Also, the layout of your blog is beautiful - you did a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that dress is pretty fabulous, especially paired with the shoes. love them! p.s. your hair is gorgeous too!

    xo, jill
    http://jillybeanstalk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowow this dress is amazing. you look so glam in it.

    Helen, X
    http://areyoudressingupordressingdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore this dress..You look nice


    Thanks for viewig fitzchornicles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl you are looking "ZAFTIG" (the literal "juicy" that it means in Yiddish) in that dress!! It is absolutely amazing and talk about a deal $88 from $150!! I need to hop in my car and run to Nordies!! lol It is perfect with those red wedges. I too can't walk in heels and they hurt my feet. I can do about 3inches max and that is pushing it! I have a couple of JC wedges that are around 5inches but they have a 2inch platform. I can do a platform ok. If someone responds willing to teach you how to walk in heels...holla at yo girl!! lol So glad that you are getting out and experiencing the NYC. I may be there in Sept. Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look AMAZING! Love Love Love..did I say I LOVE that dress....and it looks great on you!

    http://Full-FiguredDiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have such a girly crush on you! You are so beautiful! I love that dress so much and the colours you chose for the accessories are amazing! Love the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GOR. GEOUS.
    Your hair is amazing, btw.
    xo


    sydaaaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG GIRL!!!!!!!! this dress is SUPER SEXY AND AMAZING ON YOU. the colors make ur lovely skin pop and those shoes.... YES YES YES!!!! you look like a walking curvaceous and happy billboard mounted in the lovely NYC... which we could swap places. You are a gem of a woman. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

    http://mythriftedcloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say that the dress is gorgeous and you look simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dress is two words: GAW & JUSSSS! Wow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that dress is AMAZING!! i'm totally jealous. :) also, i have waaay to many shoes that are just perfect for sitting in....not so much for walking. so please post if anyone responds with tips for walking in heels!
    -sarah

    ReplyDelete