Saturday, October 1, 2011

#20 Dream Weaver

Long time, no outfit post! :) That's back-to-school life for me. And now that I'm no longer staying with my boyfriend, I rarely have an excellent photographer around. Thankfully, last weekend my friend Ellie and I shopped 'till we dropped, and luckily I was able to convince her to take a few shots of my outfit on top of the parking garage. Pardon the squinting... it was such a beautiful sunny day!















JACKET Rouched Sleeved Jacket, H&M | TOP Black Snakeskin Ballerina Tunic, Urban Outfitters | JEANS Black Skinny Jeans, Old Navy | SHOES Black Strappy Wedges, Target | NECKLACE Dream Catcher Necklace, Vintage | EARRINGS 7/16" Jade Plugs, Body Art Forms | PURSE Studded Metallic Clutch, Marc Jacobs

I love this necklace. It's such a huge statement piece and I think it really makes the outfit. I bought it at a vintage/thrift shop in New York City a few years ago. I rarely wear it, but ever since I've decided to try to wear more of what I own and buy less, it came back into my regular rotation. However, I always feel conflicted about "ethnic" pieces like these: is wearing them a celebration of a beautiful and rich culture, or simply exploiting an oppressed racial group? What do you think?

The wedges from Target are amazing, too. They are a blatant rip-off of Dolce Vita's wedges (which most likely are runway rip-offs), but they are so comfortable and only cost about $30. Sadly, as the weather seems to be getting cooler and cooler, this will probably be my last outfit post featuring open-toed shoes! On the other hand, I can't wait for fall fashion...

Finally, I really want to thank everyone who voted for me in the Talbots contest. Sadly, I didn't win, but I really appreciate everyone who took a few minutes out of their day to vote! Thank you so much!

10 comments:

  1. You really do look great. It is still hot here in Florida so we're still wearing our open toed shoes. As for the jewelry, my husband is half Native American. He doesn't decorate with anything Cherokee, but his mom's house is loaded with it. I really don't think you're exploiting anyone. If you ever head over to Cherokee, NC, many natives sell this type of jewelry as income. I say it's a celebration of heritage. So go for it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look amazing! And I'm with you, I can NOT WAITTTT for fall fashion! I love layers!!

    oxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look fabulous! I love this outfit :)
    It's just turning into summer over here, so all my layers have gone into storage :(

    Olivia :) x
    Wait Until The Sunset

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look way cute! the outfit looks awesome love the clutch and the blazer! and i cant get over your awesome red hair and your awesome green glasses :)

    xo
    A_Riot

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your outfit! Super cute! I am already wearing my fall fashion! I LOVE fall/winter!!

    I believe that many "ethnic" things that were once held sacred to a particular group of people are now over commercialized. Things have lost their real meaning. This is being done both within and outside of the race. Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look amazing! I love your hair color! And those wedges are adorable!
    ♥ laura

    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dammmn, are you trying to kill me!? You look amazing! I really love the texture of that top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look gorgeous, I'm seriously in love with your hair <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your hair and your full, thick eyebrows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair looks grogeous! Insanely jealous of those fiery locks ;)

    xo

    sydaaaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete