Monday, July 18, 2011

#11 - Repurposing A Romper

I love rompers. They're cute, they're charming, and they're comfortable-- it's sort of like a skort, except less tennis-y. I recently bought an olive green one from Old Navy and liked it a lot when I bought it, yet somehow liked it a lot less a month later when I actually tried to wear it. Has that ever happened to you? Apparently likability is inversely proportionate to the amount of time you wait to wear a piece of clothing. There's my nerd coming out. Anyway, although I loved the color and the drapy-ness of the top, I liked the fit a lot less and needed to find a way to repurpose the piece. Exhibit A:











TOP Olive Green Romper, Old Navy | SKIRT Taupe Bodycon Textured Skirt, H&M | EARRINGS Origami Paper Crane Earrings, stand at Comfest | NECKLACE Ohio Charm, Tiger Tree Columbus | SANDALS Studded and Jeweled Sandals, Sam Edelman | BRACELET Tribal Silver Cuff, Target

I'm indifferent towards this romper, but I loved how I was able to repurpose it as a top. It's great when you can find one piece you can wear in multiple ways, getting more bang for your buck. I only wish the lighting was better in this room so you could see the beautiful neutral colors together (olive green romper, taupe skirt) combined with a pop of color from my glasses and earrings. Stylistically, that's something I love to do: take a classic piece and make it pop with an eccentric and unique accessory that makes everyone go, "Where did you get that?!" I hear that all the time with my glasses and got lots of compliments on my earrings and of course, my totally rebellious sandals. It's fantastic!

I also can't sew particularly well and don't own a sewing machine. It's something I'd like to learn some day, but if I may, I'd like to recommend something incredibly inexpensive and useful to have in your style arsenal: the safety pin. They're cheap and can completely change the look of a piece of clothing. This romper is wide open, exposing my entire chest (I guess it's supposed to be a swim suit cover up) and is a bit too blousey/baggy when worn with a skirt. I took a safety pin to the chest to make it less revealing and took another to sweep the top flap further over the side, making it look more fitted. When you don't have time to sew: safety pins!!!

1 comment:

  1. You look adorable and those earrings are beautiful!

    http://Full-FiguredDiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete